The Romanian Nautical College Association is a non-governmental, not-for-profit professional organization created on the 20th of April 2010 by Mihai Marcu and Stelian Cojocaru. The RNC Assoc. established the Romanian Nautical College (RNC) as the first private MVET (maritime vocational education training) institution in this part of the world.
Here you have a brief history of the Romanian naval education system:
→ In 1920, Maritime School is created in Constanta, comprising Maritime School and Maritime Institute. In 1948, the institution was reorganised and the civilian component of Maritime School was closed.
→ In 1959/1960 the commercial maritime branch (deck and technical) was revived.
→ In 1973, the Romanian government created the Naval Institute in Constanta, with both military and merchant navy departments. The duration of programmes was incresed from 2 to 4 years.
→ In 1990, the naval institute divided into Naval Academy and Civil Naval Institute. Both institutions have been orientated to technical disciplines al university level, preparing engineers in the naval field.
→ On 20th April 2010, the Romanian Nautical College Association becomes the first Romanian private vocational maritime institute, as an alternative to the existing Romanian governmental university-level maritime institutions. The RNC inauguration festivity took place on 2nd June 2010 and the first
→ Deck officer class started on the 13th of September 2010.
→ In September 2011, the first Engineering officer class begins.
→ On 2nd of September 2013, the Romanian Nautical College creates the DP&Offshore Centre and the first DP Basic Course takes place.
→ On 17th October 2013, the Romanian Nautical College - DP&Offshore Centre was included in the official list of Nautical Institute accredited DP Centres.
→ On the 3rd of March 2014, the first DP Maintenance and Engineering course takes place.
→ On the 15th of July 2014, the College opens a branch in Constanta.
→ In February 2015, the first High Voltage course is delivered.
→ In October 2015, the first DP Sea Time Reduction course is delivered, under the Nautical Institute accreditation.
→ On the 1st of January 2016, Constanta Branch moved to a new location in Constanta.: str Dezrobirii no.90A
→ On the 1st of June 2016 Romanian Nautical College signed a strategic 1+1 partnership with South Tyneside College (the longest and most prominent nautical college in the UK) that frames common programmes to educate future deck and engine officers.
→ Starting the 1st of September 2016, the College moves completely to Constanta. Also, starting that day, Romanian Nautical College works under the UK regulations only.
... and the history continues ...